Using the Library
Everyone is welcome to visit the Blue Mountains Public Library, attend programs, view our collections and exhibits, and take advantage of our services, including:
- Public Computers and Free Wi-Fi
- Copying / Scanning / Faxing
- Mobile Printing
- Meeting Spaces
- Tech Help
Membership at the library is required to borrow materials and request books through interlibrary loan.
How Do I Join?
Aren't a Member of The Blue Mountains Public Library Yet?
If you are a resident of the Town of the Blue Mountains, Grey Highlands, or Meaford. Please visit the Library during opening hours to apply.
If you reside or are a rate payer in the Town of The Blue Mountains, you are entitled to free access to all library services.
- Residents / Ratepayers of the Town of The Blue Mountains: Free
- Members of the Meaford Public Library or Grey Highlands Public Library in good standing: Free
- To get a library card, visit one of our branches or apply online. You will need identification to obtain a library card.
- Non-Residents: $75 per year for a family
- Visitors: $10 for one month
What Kind of ID Should I Bring In?
To apply for a resident card at the library, your identification must include your Blue Mountains address.
The Library will accept as personal identification:
- Driver's Licence
- Ontario Health Card
- Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Certificate
- Military ID
In the event that the above identification does not include a current address, the following will be accepted in addition to the personal identification:
- Current Hydro, Telephone, Cable, Water, Property Tax Bill, or Assessment Notice
- Vehicle Registration
- Government Cheque
- Rental Agreement
- Personalized Cheques
Benefits of Membership
Members have access to:
- Hundreds of thousands of electronic materials through our Virtual Branch
- Tens of thousands of print materials at L.E. Shore and Craigleith Heritage Depot
- Full visiting privileges of the Craigleith Heritage Depot community museum
- Access to onsite technology and technology loans
What is My Library Card Number?
Your library card number is the 14 digit number that appears on the front of your card. Enter it with no spaces.
Your library card number also appears on your due date slip, whether you get a printed copy or receive an email notification.
If you are a member of the library but don't know your card number, email LibraryInfo@TheBlueMountains.ca or call us at 519-599-3681 ext. 5 and we will provide it. If you have lost your library card, we can issue you a replacement card for a $1 fee.
How do I find out what the library has to lend?
Search the library catalogue for print and digital books, movies, magazines, and tech gadgets.
Visit our Virtual Branch to browse all our digital resources, including research databases and digital archives.
For details on loan periods, placing holds, late charges and returning materials, see Borrowing Materials from the Library.
2020 User Fees-Cost Recovery
The Blue Mountains Public Library does not charge for materials. We do have a cost recovery fee structure which is approved annually. The 2019 Fees have been extended through 2020 and include:
Fines & Usage Fees
- Books…$0.25 cents/day
- ILLO…$1.00/day late
- ILLO…$5.00 for each item not picked up after 1 week
- ILLO…Other new fines and fees will be announced for ILLO after June 1 when SOLS reinstates the program in its new format
- Equipment Loans…$5.00/day late for 1 week and 3 day loans
- Lost Cards...$2.00 replacement charge
- Non-resident User Fee...$75, temporary $10
- Photocopying...BW: 25 cents per page; 50 cents for 11x 17. Colour: 50 cents per page; $1 per page for 11x17.
- Scanning...Scan (to email) $1.00 minimum and 25 cents per additional page. Scan (to usb) 25 cents per page. Bound documents require a booking of staff time.
- Fax...(Local) $1 for the first page and $0.50 for following pages. (Long Distance) $2 for the first page and $1 for following pages. (Incoming) 50 cents per page
- Program Fees...Individually set based on program.
- Fundraising Events are not cost recovery.
Museum & Archival Services
- Museum Scans...$25 for a scan to email/usb of digital collection documents/images*. $30 for a scan to email/usb of original (non-digital) materials. *Materials are for non-commercial personal use. Commercial use rates are by request.
- Research Assistance…$30/hour for museum/archival research.
- Green Screen Experience...$275 With original historical images from collection featuring your event themes and staffing. 3 hour minimum (includes set-up).
- Edukits...$45 a week
- Gallery Rental...$50 for 3 hours minimum, and $15 every hour after. (No set up is provided).
- Boardroom Rental...$25 for 3 hours minimum, and $10 every hour after.
- Showcase Rental...$25 per month. NOTE: A month may be calendar month or align with Gallery schedule depending on the individual Showcase. Please request accordingly.
- Keys...Renters who require a key to access the LES after hours will be assessed the full cost of the lock replacement should they not return the key to the Library.
- Afterhours CHD Requests...These are entertained on a per case basis and include a four-hour minimum at $200 when the building is closed. For requests, contact the Library CEO
Freedom of Information
- Freedom of Information Request...$5.00 application. Additional fees will be assessed based on time requirements of the request.
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask us.